Whether one is a professional artist or a beginner, at one point or the other they will need a palette knife. But with so many variations in the market, it can be hard to pick the right ones, and that is where our list of the top 10 best palette knives come in handy.
Looking For Best Art Schools To Enhance More Artistic Knowledge? Check This Out!
Top 10 Best Palette Knives
Palette Knives Reviews | Spread Your Imagination With Ease
1. Studio 71 5-Piece Painting Knife Set
This 5 piece palette knife set is great for beginners who want something versatile and light. Coming with 5 different shapes makes it easy to work with different mediums to achieve different textures of artwork. They are also great for mixing paint and can use directly on the canvas to create art as well in place of a brush.
- Comes with assorted shapes, hence can be used for many techniques
- Comfortable and tight grips allow a smooth use
- Can be a little sharp, so needs to be kept away from children
2. Plastic Spatula Palette Knives
This palette knife set comes with six styles for the artist to be able to master many techniques with this one set. This is particularly thin and flexible given it is made from plastic. Clearly, this palette is especially great for oil painting or mixing acrylic colors for they can be a mess to get off from other materials.
- Acrylic paint comes off very easily
- Can be used for purposes other than painting
- Good for children since it has no sharp edges
- Can break easily if not cautious because of plastic material
3. Ationgle Palette Knife
This is a very unique palette knife set that comes with 9 individual pieces. This is most sought after by professional artists since it comes with so many different sizes and shapes that can help achieve many textures and finishes on their paintings, as well as helps to mix paint smoothly. Furthermore, there is also a curved metal bar that helps to keep the knife in place and a wooden handle for a good grip.
- Blades are made of stainless steel
- Great for work on canvases and walls
- Not made for children or young beginners
4. Mont Marte Studio Palette Knife Set
This Mont Marte palette knife set has 5 variations of knives, all equipped with stainless steel blades which are rusty proof, meaning they can be used for a long time. With wooden handles, they are comfortable to hold and handle. These are mostly suitable for use in acrylic paints or oil paints and by anyone, from beginners to professionals.
- Do not have a cutting edge and is hazard-free
- Great value for the price
- Great for other crafting projects as well
- Wooden handles are a little tough to clean after use
5. Creative Mark Painting Palette Knife Set
This is a very unique palette knife set by Creative Mark and it comes with 9 different knives. All of them are made of stainless steel to prevent rust and wooden handles make them flexible for everyday use. These are however used mostly by people working in special effects for it comes with unique blades that are not often seen. In addition to that, this can also use for regular art purposes too.
- The tools are hardy and long lasting
- Unique set of knife shapes
- Great with thick layers of paint
- Not suitable for children
You might also be interested in reading Art Magazines
6. Liquitex 119901 Professional Freestyle Painting Knife
This palette knife from Liquitex does not come with any set but on its own. It is best for spreading and smoothing large surfaces, but you can also use it for scum-bling, mixing and smudging as well. This is especially good for use with Gesso or modeling paste which can be tricky without the right tools. Undoubtedly, both professional artists and beginners will find this palette very good to use.
- Very durable and will last long
- Large size is great for a smooth finish without lines
- Not very flexible.
7. Sculpt Pro Palette Painting Knife Set
This palette knife set from Sculpt Pro comes with 12 different knives that make it one of the most versatile palette knives sets out there. These have ergonomic wooden handles and brass collars. The blades are pretty flexible which makes mixing very easy. They can also be used directly on the canvas for painting.
- Comes in a handy bag for traveling
- Numerous shapes make it flexible
- Can be fragile
8. MEEDEN Spatula Palette Knife
The MEEDEN palette knife set has a great range of shapes where each comes with a different function and purpose. Artists can use these palettes for mixing pigments, scraping, and even painting directly on, especially with thick paints which brush is not appropriate for. The blades are of stainless steel which prevents rust and corrosion. Besides, this set is perfect for everyone, from beginners to hobbyists to full-time professionals.
- Hand tempered blades provide flexibility
- Wooden handles make it easy to use
- Can be used for murals
- Use handles with care
9. Martin/F. Weber Bob Ross Number10 Standard Painting Knife
If you are an artist or enjoy art than the name Bob Ross should be a well-known name. Known for his art techniques, this palette knife is created to mimic his work by watching his videos and tutorials and is one of the most used as well. Moreover, it comes with a stainless steel blade for even application, mixes and prevents rust.
- Allows you to mimic Bob Ross tutorials
- Great for wet-on-wet painting techniques
- Does not come in a set
10. StarVast Painting Knife
This is a five-piece palette knife set, is one of the basic standard sets that all artists required. Not only that it has functions for spreading, smoothing, mixing and all other purposes but it’s also perfect for oil, watercolor or acrylic, which will able you to draw on more than just canvases but any surfaces as well. Furthermore, with ergonomic wooden handles and steel blades, the 5 different shapes allow for many textures and finish on artwork.
- Edges are seamless and smooth
- Is easy to clean post-use
- The blade will rust if put in contact with water
Looking For What Acrylic Paint To Use? Check It Here!
It should be noted that, with unique textures, your artwork will stand out when you have a good set of palette knives. So, you can skim through this list and find the right ones suitable for your needs. Last but not least, with these detailed pros and cons, finding the right knife is just a click away.