In this article, we have compiled the best Books on Chinese History that are available in the market. Chinese history books are essential as far as the history of the world is concerned. The books provide full coverage of complex civilizations of the past era. Some talks of the great men and women who played a significant role in transforming China and the entire world. Others talks of the British in China, their mission, and also their work. The following are among the Best Books on Chinese History that one must-read.
For more aboard history, you should read one of the Best World History Books
Top 15 Best Books on Chinese History
1. China Smart: What You Don’t Know, What You Need to Know
To start our list of the best Best Books on Chinese History is this amazing book. Do you want to know more about the past and contemporary history of China? China Smart is a must-read book.
The author of the book is Larry Herzberg. It tries to answer questions such as, how is China arranged politically? What are the current trends in China? How Chinese people affected by the issues? One will get answers to all these questions after reading this book.
- The book explains the major holidays of the Chinese community.
- This is among the Best Books on Chinese History that consists of 248 pages.
- The unit discusses the Chinese written language.
2. DK Eyewitness Books: Ancient China
The author of the book is Arthur Cotterell. DK Children published it on September 5, 2005. The book contains an informative guide about the history of the great Chinese empire. It explains the traditions and customs of the Chinese community.
- The book has 72 pages.
- This is among the Best Books on Chinese History that has real-life photographs of life in imperial China.
- The unit helps people understand the reasons why the First Emperor formed the Terracotta Army.
3. Chinese History: A New Manual, Fifth Edition
The author of the book is Endymion Wilkinson. It was published on October 15, 2017. The book has a comprehensive guide about the history and civilization of China. It is ideal for students as it provides various types of excavated, artificial, and transmitted sources from pre-history to the 21st century.
- The book has 1302 pages.
- This is among the Best Books on Chinese History that explains about the sinology and history of China.
- The unit helps one understands the civilization of China.
4. The Early Chinese Empires: Qin and Han (History of Imperial China)
The author of the book is Mark Edward Lewis. Belknap Press published it on October 30, 2010. The book explains the Qin and Han, who are considered to be the classical period of Chinese history. It the significant roles the Romans and Greeks played in the West.
- The book consists of 336 pages.
- This is among the Best Books on Chinese History that explains about the challenges the scholars and court officials faced in governing the empire.
- The unit discusses how the emperor was invented.
5. Understanding China [3rd Edition]: A Guide to China’s Economy, History, and Political Culture
The author of the book is John Bryan Starr. Hill and Wang published it on August 31, 2010. The book discusses the present and future of China. It also talks of how China has thrived in the economy and the 2008 Olympics in Beijing. The unit generally explains the Chinese political and economic system.
- The book consists of 448 pages.
- It explains the government’s efforts to combat the influence of the internet.
- The unit also discusses the trade conflicts between China and the United States.
6. Superpower Interrupted: The Chinese History of the World
The author of the book is Michael Schuman. Public Affairs will publish it on June 9, 2020. The book helps one to understand the role of China in the world. It shows that all China wants is its superpower status. This is well illustrated by the drive “Make China Great Again.”
- The book has 384 pages.
- This is among the Best Books on Chinese History that explains how Chinese history has shaped the China economy and its attitude toward the US and the entire world.
- The book describes China as the wealthiest country.
7. The Cambridge Illustrated History of China
The author of the book is Patricia Buckley Ebrey. Cambridge University Press published it on January 25, 2010. The book helps one to understand Chinese history from prehistoric times to the present. It explains more of the Chines e diverse cultures, arts, and economy.
- The book has 384 pages.
- It explains how women are treated in society.
- The unit also talks of the uprisings of 1919 and 1989 in Tiananmen Square.
8. China: A History
The author of the book is John Keay. Basic Books published it on December 6, 2011. The book has a full coverage of Chinese history for about 5000 years. It examines where China has come from the Three Dynasties via Chairman Mao to where it is at present.
- The book consists of 608 pages.
- This is among the Best Books on Chinese History that shows how China has been transformed economically.
- The unit talks about the role of China in the world.
9. China: A History (Volume 1): From Neolithic Cultures through the Great Qing Empire
The author of the book is Harold M. Tanner. Hackett Publishing Company published it on March 15, 2010. The book has a general guideline about the history of Chinese social, political, and economic welfare. It also covers the development of Chinese civilization from the past to the present.
- The book has 414 pages.
- It has illustrations in the form of maps and chronological tables.
- The unit also explains the diverse Chinese culture.
10. A Short History of China: From Ancient Dynasties to Economic Powerhouse
The author of the book is Gordon Kerr. Pocket Essentials published it on September 1, 2013. The book covers Chinese history for more than 4000 years. It discusses the stories of artists, despots, tyrants, philosophers, and warriors who have played a significant role in shaping the nation.
- The book has160 pages.
- It talks about the fascinating China technological advancements.
- The unit explains the drastic changes China has made in the recent past to achieve its goal as a superpower country.
You might also interested in Top 10 Best Political Books | Learn More About The Past Events
11. Ancient Asian History: A Captivating Guide to the Ancient Civilizations of China and Japan
This is a must-read book by Captivating History. It was published on May 4, 2020. The book has complete coverage of the ancient history of China. It also explains the Chinese civilization from the time of the Shang Dynasty until the fall of the Han Dynasty.
- The book has a guide to the ancient history of Japan.
- It also talks of Japanese civilization and culture.
- The unit has 250 pages.
12. Last Boat Out of Shanghai: The Epic Story of the Chinese Who Fled Mao’s Revolution
The author of the book is Helen Zia. Ballantine Books published it on January 22, 2019. The book covers the stories of four young men who went to exile in Shanghai during China’s 1949 Communist revolution. It shows how people escape from their homeland to seek refuge only to find less-than-welcoming places.
- The book has 493 pages.
- It shows the struggles people face while in exile.
- The unit also covers the reasons for refuging.
13. The History of China in 50 Events
The author of the book is Henry Freeman. It was published on February 6, 2016. The book is ideal for people who have a thirst for understanding Chinese history as well as of the entire world. It covers all past Chinese events siting the year in which they occurred.
- The book has 52 pages.
- It has topics such as The Great Flood, SARS outbreak, and First Opium War.
- The unit also covers the Great Anti-Buddhist Persecution, and Marco Polo travels to China.
14. China: A History
The author of the book is John Keay. Hamper Press published it on April 12, 2010. The book covers the history of China for more than 3000 years. It discusses the succession of the great dynasties and Chairman Mao. The unit also talks of Confucius and the clamour of revolution.
- The book consists of 608 pages.
- It covers slick capitalism.
- The unit discusses the dawn of legend.
15. China: History of China – History of an Empire
The author of the book is Raymond C. Nelson. It was published on August 26, 2016. The book will help one to know how China has come out from civil wars, famine, and centuries of isolation to the most powerful nation. It covers the rise and fall of communism and the influx of capitalism.
- The book consists of 114 pages.
- It covers about Cultural Revolution and China’s economic explosion.
- The unit discusses Genghis Khan together with his Mongol Army.
For a casual historical reading, make sure to check out our Best History Magazines | Historical Knowledge
Chinese history books are essential to every Chinese citizen as well as the entire world. This is because they consist of a comprehensive history of the Chinese community. They cover the diverse Chinese culture, arts, religions, and political intrigue. Some talk of the Chinese civilization from the past to the modern one. Others talk about how China has become a superpower nation. The above are among the Chinese history books that one must-read to get a full capture of the Chinese history.